Private rented housing

Before viewing accommodation you should consider: how much you can afford in rent and utility bills, the quality of the accommodation, the building energy rating of the property, location of the property, how long you plan to stay there, whether you wish to share a bedroom/bathroom/kitchen etc. Most rooms, flats, apartments or houses are advertised on accommodation websites. You can search for a particular type of accommodation and set up alerts for your specific requirements. Other sources include the accommodation sections of newspapers, advertisements in shops, notice boards etc. You may also find available accommodation through word of mouth but not signs on properties which is not a usual practice in Slovakia.
Real estate agencies or letting agencies are commercial organisations that help you find private rented accommodation. They will charge you a fee. Before registering with an agency, you should find out what services does it offer, if you pay a fee, in what circumstances will you be entitled to a refund, if you decide to register with the agency, make sure you get a receipt for any money you pay. If you arrange for a viewing a flat or house some minimum standards apply to accommodation being offered for rent. You may check in particular if: are there any signs of dampness, do the windows open, what security is available, is a smoke detector provided and is it functioning, is there a fire alarm, check fire evacuation procedures especially in apartments, who pays for the heating and who controls it, is hot water available all the time, are the cooker and fridge clean and in working order, what sort of condition is the bathroom in, is there storage for bicycles, does the property have a parking space, is there a bus route or other public transport nearby, are there shops and other facilities nearby.
Before you agree to rent make sure that you can afford the rent being asked from your own income. Landlords cannot discriminate against potential tenants on grounds of gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or race. Landlords also cannot refuse to rent you accommodation because you are getting a social welfare payment. If you feel you have been discriminated against by a landlord or their agent, you can find out more about making a complaint under the equal status law. Landlord is obliged to provide you with facilities receipts and to ensure that the accommodation meets certain minimum physical standards. They must also register the tenancy with the official tax board.
If the landlord wants you to sign a fixed-term lease, don't agree unless you are sure you want to stay for that length of time. If you leave before the end of a fixed-term lease, you may lose your deposit. Your tenancy is not covered by landlord and tenant legislation if you are renting a room in your landlord's home, but it is covered if you are renting a self-contained apartment or flat. Ask the landlord for a written list of all furnishings and appliances provided. You and the landlord should sign this list at the start of the tenancy to show that you agree on the furnishings supplied and their condition. This will help to prevent disputes during your stay and when you are leaving. This list should be included in the agreement. If there are any signs of damage by previous tenants, make sure this is noted. You could photograph or otherwise record the existing condition of the property and any damage to walls, furniture or appliances. If there are outstanding repairs, ask the landlord to state in writing that they will be carried out.
Some landlords or agents may ask you for a holding deposit when you decide to take the accommodation. This is a sum of money you pay to hold the property for you before you sign the lease and enter into a contract with the landlord. You should always get a written receipt for a holding deposit. Holding deposits are often not refundable. You will be asked for a security deposit before moving into the accommodation. Usually a deposit is the equivalent of one month’s rent and is held by the landlord as security for any rent arrears or damage beyond normal wear. You should get a receipt for any deposit you pay. The amount of deposit paid should be stated. You may lose deposit if you leave without giving proper notice, or leave before the end of a fixed-term lease, cause damage to the accommodation beyond normal wear, leave with bills or rent unpaid.
Pick your suitable options from many commercial online resources and contact the agents or owners directly, usually by telephone. Rental market in Bratislava is very busy and affordable and good quality offers not last long